Sunday, May 13, 2012

Scrapbook Paper Flower

Friday night I was in need of a fast and fun craft project…thanks to my wonderful sister-in-law, I had the perfect one in mind.  I believe it was Thursday when she sent me a picture of a flower she made from scrapbook paper and glued on to a canvas.  She sent me to this blog and said that the tutorial was awesome.  I immediately started brainstorming ideas, I could use the scrap fabric I have laying around and use my cricut to cut the “leafs” and the mod podge it on to the canvas…I also thought about making it from buttons, somehow.  So Friday night after the babies went to bed and hubby was still gone, I got busy.  I opted out of using fabric in fear of screwing up my first try.  Now that I have got it down, for the most part, I may mix it up a bit on the next one.

IMG_2915 copy

After rounding up all my materials I got busy.  I did not have a paint that was close to what she used in her tutorial, so I took my black and white and mixed it until I was satisfied with the color.

IMG_2918 copy

The I began cutting.  At first I just eye balled everything, I should have measured and followed her tutorial exactly.  But I didn’t, mainly I thought that I would make this flower bigger than hers, but I did not realize that making the “leafs” bigger would not give me what I was looking for.  I needed more “leafs” not bigger ones.  So my tip to you, if you want a flower that covers the entire canvas, or close there to it, just make more “leafs” but keep them small.  I learned smaller “leafs” fill in the space better and I liked the way they turned out vs. the larger ones.  Everybody’s taste is different though so you may learn that you like the bigger “leafs” better.

 

I also used a yellow button as my center, I think she used a different color scrapbook paper for hers. 

IMG_2920 copy

Here she sits on our mantel for now.  I am not sure if she will stay there, more than likely not.  I don’t know if it is just me but my decorations have a way of moving, almost daily.  I move things around, change it up a bit here and there…it is the woman in me!

IMG_2921 copy

Here is a up-close picture.  I am really happy with how it turned out.  From far away it looks like a fancy piece of art, but I created it.  I have tossed around ideas or using left over fabric on my next one or pictures of the babies…I’m planning on making another one I just have to decide what I want it to look like. 

 

Thanks Its Doable for an awesome tutorial and a beautiful flower!

 

Hope you had a great weekend and a wonderful Mother’s Day!

No comments: