Monday, August 13, 2012

I’m a Runner- Say What?!

I have some “baby weight” left and a new found “figure” after becoming a mommy that I want to take care of.  At the beginning of July I started slowly working on a healthier life style for me and my family.  I started slowly because I did not want it to be a shock and let’s face it I’m a fat kid and we love to eat in this house!  About three weeks ago I started the C25K program, then two weeks ago I got really serious about what I was eating.  The C25k is a great program to help you go from nothing to running a 5k. 

The hardest part has been eating and cooking.  I love grapes and oranges, but other than that I’m not a fruit eater.  I don’t really eat a lot of veggies.  But I am finding new and healthier snacks for us. 

IMG_1789

Some of these pictures may be duplicates, they are all from my phone so are not the best quality Smile

IMG_1736

First thing I tried was switching oil in baking with apple sauce.  This sounds absolutely disgusting to me, but it really was not that bad.  Instead of using oil when I baked our chocolate muffins I used the same amount of apple sauce.  I’m not sure how much, if any, calories this saved me but they muffins were really good and moist.  I could not tell that they were “different”.  I probably would have been healthier by not eating them at all, however that is exactly why I do not diet.  If I want something I’m gonna eat it.  Calorie counting works so much better for me.  If I go over on my calories then I just walk an extra 15 minutes.

IMG_1750

To add to my healthy-not-so-healthy eating, I spent  the Sunday before last prepping my healthy for the week foods.  One of those being my breakfast so I baked bacon for each day of the week.  Why I chose to bake instead of fry?  I read at one point that baking bacon on a cooling rack with a cookie sheet underneath would help the bacon drain the grease.  It was DISGUSTING to see all the fat dripping off the bacon as it cooked.  To help get some of the fat off it I flipped the bacon every 10 minutes and patted it with a paper towel.  Then I put two pieces in a snack bag and put them in the fridge for the week.  They were so nice and easy to just open the fridge and go.

IMG_1754

I did the same thing for my snacks for the week.  Measured each portion out and put it in the little bag.  To make my calorie counting easier I wrote on the outside of the bag how many calories were in each bag. 

IMG_1693

To start my C25k program I got some new kicks.  My old shoes were killing my feet, they were only six years old so I guess it was about time to get some new ones.

IMG_1832

I also got new under armor shorts…they are my new found LOVE!  You have GOT to get you a pair of these if you are into running/walking.  They are tight and light, they don’t move when you run.  I know I am not the only lady out there that has to adjust her shorts during her jogging sessions, is that not the most annoying thing during your run!?

IMG_1703

Because you can’t just do cardio!  I got me a medicine ball…that eight pound baby will give you a workout!  Typically I walk three days a week and do some strength training, either medicine ball or with hubby and the weights.  Then I do another three days of just running.  I alternate the cardio and strength training and have one day off a week.  It’s tough but it’s fun, and what has made it much more fun is hubby is doing it with me! 

IMG_1796

We enjoy weight training together.  It’s good to have a partner keeping you in check.

IMG_1809

I even started using my break times at work to walk.  I have fifteen minutes in the morning and fifteen in the afternoon.  The only problem is it looks as though my shoes at work are worn out!  I may need to invest in new tennies for the office!

IMG_1810

Part of our biggest problem was grocery shopping.  It is so hard to go to the store and not get potato chips, cookies, etc.  But look at this buggy from our last trip!!! I’m SOOOO proud of us. 

IMG_1819

DUDE, we spent $30 on VEGGIES!!!!

IMG_1828

I have made green beans like this in the house, but I wanted to give them a shot on the grill…they were not too bad!  I prefer them on the stove top.  (psstttt:  see I told you we aint giving up everything, those ribs were AMAZING…BUT we only ate two!)

*FIRSTS FOR ME*

1.  I never thought I would say it but I did say it this week, I LOVE to run!!  How weird am I?  I find it relaxing and a huge stress relief for me.  I am excited to see how long I keep it up and how I will grow as a runner.  I have a goal to run by Christmas (and have lost a significant more weight).

2.  I never thought I would plan my lunch when we are going out around how many calories are in the meal.  It’s a lifestyle change and I am slowly but surely learning how to live that lifestyle.

IMG_1862

3. Tonight was the first night I have gotten a cramp.  I have never gotten a cramp from running but I did tonight and it was NOT fun.  But I didn’t stop (ps I ran 3minutes straight tonight, woo hoo).

 

Today I found some new iPhone apps that I am testing out to see how I like them.  I will have to post about them once I have decided if I like them and give anyone who is interested a run down!  I am really proud of my small, yet large, accomplishments.  I hope to continue in my running and healthy eating journey.  I hope that it will pay off come Christmas and I weigh in at my goal weight!  But for now I need it to relieve stress and I’m really having a blast running.

 

Oh and by the way, I have always heard that it some times takes a while before you see results…I guess I’m just one of those lucky ones with “good genes”!

IMG_1865

har har a little bad joke to end a Monday night post!  Night yall!!

No comments: